Solar credits, REBS & DEBS
Most popular FAQs
- What is the current Renewable Energy Buyback Scheme (REBS) rate?
Existing REBS customers can remain on REBS so long as they don’t upgrade their system and subject to the REBS Terms and Conditions.
- Am I eligible for DEBS?
DEBS is available to eligible households, schools, educational institutions and not-for-profits in WA who:Read more
- Are looking to install a new eligible renewable or distributed energy system;
- Are looking to upgrade their existing renewable or distributed energy system;
- Are moving into a property with an existing renewable or distributed energy system on or after 06 November; or
- Are an existing REBS customer who want to switch to DEBS.
Eligibility criteria are set out in the DEBS Terms and Conditions.
- Do I need a new meter to install solar and how do I arrange this?
To install a solar power system you’ll need to have a bi-directional energy meter that is capable of separately measuring and recording electricity flows in each direction - how much energy you consume from the grid vs. how much excess energy you export back to the grid (thanks to your solar system).Read more
- Renewable Energy Buyback scheme (REBS)
The Renewable Energy Buyback Scheme is no longer available to new applicants, it has been replaced with the Distributed Energy Buyback Scheme (DEBS).
The Distributed Energy Buyback Scheme gives eligible customers a chance to earn money for sending excess energy from an eligible solar and/or a battery system back to the grid. Any money earned will be displayed as a credit on your next bill.
- I am an existing REBS customer and want to upgrade my system, how will this affect me?
Customers who undertake the following changes to their systems will be required to apply for DEBS:
- Increase the size of their renewable energy system up to the maximum permitted size (e.g. upgrade a 2kW solar PV system up to a maximum 5kW solar PV system); or
- Install a home battery storage system at their premises, including an electric vehicle that is set up to export energy to the grid (vehicle-to grid, or V2G);
If you are already in the process of finalising your application for buyback payments for your solar export, then you will have a week’s grace to finalise and submit it to Synergy. Provided we receive your eligible completed application on or before 7 September 2020, you will receive REBS.
- Do I need approval from my local council to install a distributed energy system?
This varies depending on your individual circumstances. It’s best to double check with your installer, the Network Operator and local council before proceeding with a system.
- How long will it take to pay back my solar system?
To understand some of the financial benefits of going solar, try our handy solar payback calculator. It can provide a general estimate of how much you could save, along with other valuable information like the estimated payback period of your system and how much energy your solar power system could generate.Read more
- How much does it cost to apply for the Distributed Energy Buyback Scheme (DEBS)?
There’s a $21.90 fee (inclusive of GST) for your application to participate in the Distributed Energy Buyback Scheme (DEBS). This fee may change from time to time but as of 1 July 2022 it’s correct.Read more
Other additional costs may apply including the installation of a bi-directional electricity meter that separately measures the electricity flow in both directions. It records consumption (usage within the home) and export (excess electricity produced and exported back to the electricity network).
- If I have a battery, can I participate in DEBS?
- My last meter reading was estimated and it has prevented me from receiving my DEBS or REBS payment. What should I do?
There could be a variety of reasons why your bill was estimated. It may be because the meter reader was unable to gain access to your meter to take a reading. Please contact our customer service centre on 13 13 53 so that we can assist you further.
For REBS customers only - As part of the Automated REBS Payment Terms & Conditions, automated payments can only be made based on actual readings, taken by Western Power. If this condition is not met at the time you are being billed, the refund will not be processed automatically and your REBS credits remain against your account. This is to ensure the accuracy of the credits applied.
- What happens if my new home has solar and or battery storage installed?
Depending on the type and size of the system - you may be eligible to participate in the Distributed Energy Buyback Scheme (DEBS) which means you can earn some extra cash when exporting excess energy back in to the grid which will be applied as a credit to your electricity bill.
Call us on 13 13 53 or submit an enquiry to find out more.
- What information will I need to apply for the Distributed Energy Buyback Scheme (DEBS)?
The fastest and simplest way is to apply online when your system is connected to the grid.Read more
- Why do I need to notify you when I upgrade my system?
If you want to upgrade the size of your existing system you’ll need to complete the Distributed Energy Systems application form. If you want to change the capacity of your inverter, you’ll also need approval from Western Power before making any changes.
For REBS customers, if you upgrade your system you may no longer be eligible for REBS and will need to apply for DEBS.
- Why do I still need to pay for electricity with solar connected?
You pay to be connected to the network and only pay for electricity when your panels aren't producing enough energy to power your home.Read more
- Can I transfer my net feed-in tariff to another home?
Unfortunately no. The net feed-in tariff can only be applied to the home registered against the subsidy. Any subsequent customer that moves into this premises will be entitled to receive this subsidy, but only for the remaining balance of the 10 year period.
Read the REBS terms and conditions.
- How does Renewable Energy Buyback Scheme (REBS) affect my bill?
In a really good way! When the sun is shining bright, you'll harness the energy from the sun to power your home so you don't have to pay for any electricity during this time.
Whenever your panels aren't producing enough energy to power your home, we'll supply the electricity to your home instead. So you'll only pay for the electricity we supply you. Plus, you'll also be doing your bit for the environment by reducing your carbon footprint.
Any money earned for exporting energy back to the grid, will be displayed as a credit on your next bill. Once your credit reaches $75 or more... we'll deliver the money you've earned straight to your nominated bank account if you've registered for Automated REBS Payments.
- How many solar panels will I need for my home?
The location of your roof in relation to sunshine, shading, dirt on solar panels and temperature all play a part in maximising your solar power production.Read more
- I no longer want to receive Automated REBS Payments
No worries, we can help arrange this for you. The quickest and simplest way is to opt out via My Account, or you can call our customer service centre on 13 13 53.
- What happens if I want to cancel my solar application?
We understand that there are times that our customers want to cancel a solar application, whether it be because you've changed your mind about installing solar or you've proceeded with a different installer.Read more
- Why can’t I receive Automated REBS payments if I am a self-reader?
As part of the Automated REBS Payment Terms & Conditions, automated payments can only be made based on actual readings, taken by Western Power. If this condition is not met at the time you are being billed, the refund will not be processed automatically and your REBS credits remain against your account. This is to ensure the accuracy of the credits applied.
Can’t find the answer above? Get in contact, we are happy to help
For residential enquiries call 13 13 53
One of our friendly, team members will be happy to help you:
- 7am - 7pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
- We may need to ask you a couple of questions to confirm it's you - just have a copy of your bill handy.
All fields required unless indicated as optional.