- Am I notified of successful Direct Debit transactions?
No. This is because Direct Debit is a regular deduction so you won’t get notified or sent a receipt for these payments. It’s best to check your bank statement or you can log in to My Account and check the payment record under the tab 'Bills and Payments'. Payments we successfully receive may not be recorded in My Account until 24 hours after the payment is made.
- Are there any instalment amount limits?
There is a $20 minimum Direct Debit instalment amount; however there are no maximum dollar limits you can pay through My Account. The only restrictions could be the credit card limit or daily maximum transfer limit imposed by your bank.
- Can Direct Debit payments be paid from any bank account?
Direct Debit works with most bank accounts within Australia only. Even better... we won't charge you any transaction fees if you nominate a bank account as your payment option (a small fee only applies to credit or debit card payments).
For any bank account queries, please contact your bank.
- Can the Direct Debit bank account be in a different name than my Synergy account?
If you choose to make bill payments using Direct Debit and are an authorised contact (i.e. not the Synergy account holder), you will need to provide Synergy with consent to establish the Direct Debit in the name of the bank account holder and on behalf of the Synergy account holder.
The nominated bank account holder will need to ensure there are enough funds in the account to cover the payments and will also need to read the Direct Debit Service Agreement, these can be found here
- How do I cancel my Direct Debit?
The easiest way to cancel your Direct Debit or update your account details is via My Account.
Your payment may still be debited automatically if you cancel your Direct Debit less than 5 business days before your next bill payment or instalment is due.
- How do I change my Direct Debit details?
- How do I set up Direct Debit?
The quickest and easiest way, is via My Account - where you can also update your nominated bank account or credit/debit card details (when required). If you need any help getting set up, then talk to one of our friendly customer service representatives on 13 13 54.
- How secure are my Direct Debit details?
We take protecting your information seriously. Any bank account or credit/debit card details your provide us are kept private and confidential. We’ll only disclose this information, if necessary, to process payments, investigate disputes, or, if we are legally obliged to.
- I have Direct Debit. What happens when my credit card expires or when I receive a new credit or debit card?
We keep track of your card's expiry date, to help make sure your Direct Debit won't be disrupted. We'll notify you in writing or via email (if you're registered for Paperless) in advance to remind you to update your credit/debit card details.Read more
- Is there a fee for using a credit or debit card?
A small transfer fee will apply if you prefer to pay your bills or opt in to Direct Debit with a credit or debit card:
- Mastercard Debit cards will incur a fee of 0.31 % (incl. GST)
- Mastercard Credit cards will incur a fee of 0.85% (incl. GST)
- Visa Debit cards will incur a fee of 0.38% (incl. GST)
- Visa Credit cards will incur a fee of 0.85% (incl. GST)
- American Express credit cards will incur a fee of 0.84% (incl. GST)
If you are setup for Direct Debit and pay via debit or credit card you will continue to see the transaction fee on your next Synergy bill.
We offer other payment methods which do not occur transaction fees, these include:
- What are my payment options?
As the rest of the world moves online, so too do your options for paying your bills with Synergy. However, while this is a convenience we offer our customers, it's not mandatory, and there are plenty of options that let you make payments in a manner that's convenient to you.Read more
- What are the terms and conditions for Direct Debit?
The current terms and conditions for Direct Debit can be found by downloading a copy of the Direct Debit Service Agreement 190KB
- What happens if my bank account has insufficient funds?
If there are insufficient funds in your bank or credit/debit card account, the transaction will usually be rejected by your bank. We will post you a rejection notification and details of any dishonour fees charged to us by your bank, which are then added to your next bill.
Late payment of your energy account could result in an overdue notice fee. Additional late payment charges may apply to outstanding balances over $1,000.
- What happens to my Direct Debit when I move premises?
Your can keep your Direct Debit arrangement in place to pay your final bill on your existing account.
When you move, we'll ask you to confirm or update your Direct Debit preference and details so we can make sure they're set up for your new property.
You can manage your Direct Debit through My Account, or you can contact us and one of our friendly colleagues will assist you to re-establish your Direct Debit against your account at your new address.
- What info will I need to sign up for Direct Debit?
Firstly, you’ll need your account number (you'll find this top left, on the front page of your bill). You’ll also need your bank account details, including the account holder's name, your BSB number and account number. If you’d rather pay by credit card, we just need to know the name of the cardholder, the card number and expiry date.
- What is a BSB number and where do I find it?
Your BSB number is the 6-digit code identifying your bank and the branch where your account is held.
If you are unsure of your BSB number, your bank or financial institution can help you. It is important to enter the correct BSB when you register for Direct Debit within My Account.
- What is a one-off bank transfer payment?
We've recently introduced a new payment method using your bank account so you can avoid the fees normally associated with paying with a credit or debit card. Unlike direct debit, these are single, 'one-off' payments which gives you more flexibility and options to pay each bill your way. Simply log in to My Account and provide your bank account details and we will take a one-off payment. The one-off bank payment is only available through My Account.
- What is Direct Debit?
It’s the set-and-forget way to pay bills. If you sign up for Direct Debit, we’ll debit the charges on your bill automatically from your nominated bank account or credit/debit card, whenever your bill is due to be paid. Choosing Direct Debit means your energy bill is always paid on time, without you having to remember dates, or even lift a finger.
- What types of credit cards can I use for Direct Debit?
You can use Visa, MasterCard or American Express. If you pay by credit card, a transaction fee will apply and is usually added to your Synergy bills.
- When is the money debited from my account, if paying by Direct Debit?
The amount due will be debited from your bank account on; or shortly after the due date shown on your bill. It takes up to 2 days for this payment to reach your Synergy account.
- Where can I find my payment number?
You'll find this at the bottom right of your bill (that's the 10 digit number on the first page just below the dotted line).
- Where do I update my credit card or bank account details for my Direct Debit?
Keep your credit card or bank account details up-to-date anytime, anywhere, via My Account. Please make any changes at least 5 business days before your next Direct Debit payment date - so your details are updated in time.Read more
- Will I be disconnected if I can't afford to pay my bill?
If you’re having trouble paying your bill:
- Call us on 13 13 54 - just have your Synergy account number handy (you'll find this in the top left hand corner of your bill)
- We can discuss giving you more time, or
- We’ll devise a manageable payment plan with you.
- Will I still receive a Synergy bill if I sign up for Direct Debit?
Yes! You'll still receive a copy of your bill so you can keep track of your usage and check the amount that's due. We'll either send it by post or deliver it straight to your inbox, depending on your Paperless preferences.
We’ll still send your energy bill so you can keep track of your use and the amount that’s due. Instead of a due date, the date of the Direct debit will be shown.
Can’t find the answer above? Get in contact, we are happy to help
For business enquiries call 13 13 54
One of our friendly, team members will be happy to help you:
- 7am - 7pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
- We may ask you a couple of questions about your business and energy usage - it helps to have a copy of your bill close by.
All fields required unless indicated as optional.