Skip to main content
Back to topics

Moving home?

Most popular FAQs

Does my site have a green power dome installed?
Check your building site has underground power (the shiny green dome) or call Western Power on 13 10 87 to confirm.
How long does it take to connect a meter to our building site?

It depends on how many steps below you need completed to connect your site:

  1. First, check for underground power installed on your block. Look for a shiny green dome or call Western Power on 13 10 87 to confirm or to install your dome.
  2. Apply for a new connection with us - we'll process your request within 3-5 days and issue you with a reference number.
  3. Pass on the reference number/s on to your builder or electrician.
  4. Your builder/ electrician will liaise with Western Power to get your meter installed and connected to the grid. Allow 5 working days in a metropolitan area, and up to 10 working days in rural areas.
How long does it take to connect my home?
If you're moving in to an existing home in the metro area, it only takes around 3-5 business days (excluding weekends) to get you connected. Please allow between 6-10 days for rural connections.
Read more

Other FAQs

How do I get the temporary meter removed?
Call us on 13 13 53 to arrange removal. We'll arrange with Western Power to remove the meter for you. Please note, a temporary supply removal fee of $576.95 (inc GST)  is charged by Synergy in order to recover costs charged by Western Power to visit a site and remove a temporary supply. This fee may change from time to time but as of 1 July 2024 it's correct. 
Can I connect energy to my new home while my old home is still connected?

Yes you can. As long as the previous account holder has already closed their account before your nominated move in date.

Transfer your connection

Can I nominate somebody else to manage my connection?

Yes, you can nominate others to manage your energy account on your behalf. You can do this by filling out a simple form or you can add them to your account when you move home.

Download consent form (PDF 100KB)

Changing your contact details?

If you've recently changed your details, you can conveniently update them online, via My Account. If you haven't already, register for My Account, it only takes 5 minutes.

Moving home?

We know you have a lot on when you're moving. That's why we've made it easy for you to manage your move online.

Complete a moving home application

When will I receive my final bill?
If you've submitted a move out request, we’ll issue a final bill and commence to close this account and terminate your contract after the move out date. It takes around 5 business days to process your request and you’ll receive your final bill after that.
When will I receive my first bill?
In general, your meter is read once every 2 months. When you get your first bill after moving in depends on the Western Power scheduled meter reading date in your area.
Who should be the account holder of a temporary supply?
Whenever a property has a power supply, there must be an account holder who is responsible for paying the account. The account holder is usually the property owner, but if you only need power temporarily, the builder or electrician can be the account holder.This way, the tradesperson will be billed for any power used during construction. If you’re not sure who should be responsible, check your building contract for details.

Search all of our help & advice

Can’t find the answer above? Get in contact, we are happy to help

For residential enquiries call 13 13 53

One of our friendly, team members will be happy to help you:

  • 7am - 7pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
  • We may need to ask you a couple of questions to confirm it's you - just have a copy of your bill handy.
View all contact numbers