Installed as part of the WA Government’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure program, Advanced meters allow Synergy to provide its customers with greater visibility and more flexible options to better manage their electricity usage.
To make it easy to access your AMI data, we’ve added new features to My Account. A new dashboard that shows an overview of your daily usage and data to better understand your electricity costs throughout the day, helping you to take control of your electricity use.
Half hourly data
Having access to the half hourly consumption data from the previous day will help you pinpoint how power is being used at your premises.
Track your daily electricity consumption
With the use of MyAccount, your bill will no longer be a surprise. Make immediate changes if your usage is higher than expected.
Your AMI meter can be read remotely. This means estimated bills are (in the majority of cases) eliminated.
View your AMI dashboard
View your new dashboard that shows an overview of your daily usage and data to better understand your electricity costs throughout the day, helping you to take control of your electricity use.
Advanced meter FAQsWant to learn more about Synergy's advanced meters? Take a look at our helpful FAQs.
- Will my bill look the same?
Now that you have an advanced meter, you won’t need to do anything differently, but your bills will look a little different.
- As you have moved to an advanced meter you will still see your total consumption appear on your bill, but without a reference to previous and current accumulation reads as your meter continues to take halfhourly interval reads.
- Halfhourly meter reading information is collected daily and is readily available in My Account, typically within two business days of Western Power collecting the data from the meter.
- What is Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)
Advanced Metering Infrastructure brings together advanced meters (or AMI meters), radio frequency communications points and intelligent metering software systems to deliver the latest benefits in electricity metering technology.
Your new AMI meter records electricity usage in 30-minute intervals and that data is available to you the following business day on My Account
The introduction of AMI Meters is one of the biggest and most innovative changes to how energy is measured in WA.
- Do I have to pay for an AMI Meter?
There is no direct charge when an AMI Meter is installed for end-of-life or faulty meter replacement by Western Power. If a customer requests an AMI Meter from Synergy prior to end-of-life replacement or requires an AMI Meter to use a new Synergy product such as solar panels or a battery, a meter exchange fee will be payable.
- How does it work?
AMI Meters can be read remotely, with the data sent to Western Power. Western Power then validates the metering data and sends it to Synergy the following business day. Synergy uses that information to bill you for the electricity you have used.
An AMI meter records consumption in 30-minute blocks (also known as “intervals”). Customers can access the half-hourly meter readings the following business day in Synergy’s My Account.
Through My Account customers have greater visibility of their daily electricity use and can help identify the best opportunities to save electricity.
- How will the AMI program benefit customers?
- With the use of MyAccount, your bill will no longer be a surprise. You can track your daily electricity consumption and make immediate changes if your usage is higher than expected.
- Having access to the half hourly consumption data from the previous day will help customers pinpoint how power is being used at the premises. If your consumption is looking higher than you expect, you can make changes to your energy consumption to reduce the impact of your next bill.
- If you are considering solar, interval data will help you understand your daytime household power consumption and more accurately calculate your return on investment.
- Your AMI meter can be read remotely. The data is sent wirelessly with state-of-the-art encryption. This means estimated bills are (in the majority of cases) eliminated.
- AMI Meters can be remotely ‘armed’ by Western Power. Customers then reconnect the electricity to their property by pressing a button on the meter to enable faster re-connection of electricity to a property. Customers without an AMI enabled meter require a Western Power technician or crew to attend site to physically reinstate fuses and/or service leads. This can take up to 2 business days for metropolitan customers and up to 6 business days for rural customers.
- AMI Meters will help with the future development of new retail products and services, for example new tariffs that charge different rates at different times of the day, something that hasn’t been possible without interval enabled meters installed across a large portion of the network. In addition, Synergy intends to introduce several new products and features to assist customers in taking advantage of AMI Meters and interval data in the future, including giving customers the opportunity to request an AMI Meter even if it is not due for end-of-life replacement via Western Power.
- I have been asked to press a button on my meter, what do I do?
If your meter has been de-energised it may need to be re-armed by Western Power and then activated by someone at the property. For more information please contact Western Power on 13 13 51
- Are AMI Meters safe?
AMI Meters installed in Australia meet strict safety standards and comply with electromagnetic exposure limits developed by the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA).
AMI Meters emit a lower frequency than mobile phones, broadcast towers, microwaves, garage door openers and wi-fi.
- My bill has gone up since the AMI Meter was installed
AMI Meters record consumption electronically. In some cases, this may be more accurate than previous electro-mechanical accumulation meters. This is because electronic meter technology is a significant advance over electro-mechanical meters.
- Will there be any changes to my bill?
There will be minimal change to your bill with the switch to an AMI Meter.
A summary of your consumption information will be displayed on your bill with the interval data (half hourly data recordings) available on Synergy's website in My Account the following day providing you with 48 readings per day or approximately 2,880 recordings per bill.