- How do I set up Direct Debit?
The quickest and easiest way, is via My Account - where you can also update your nominated bank account or credit/debit card details (when required). If you need any help getting set up, then talk to one of our friendly customer service representatives on 13 13 53.
- What are my payment options?
As the rest of the world moves online, so too do your options for paying your bills with Synergy. However, while this is a convenience we offer our customers, it's not mandatory, and there are plenty of options that let you make payments in a manner that's convenient to you.Read more
- Will I be disconnected if I can't afford to pay my bill?
If you’re having trouble paying your bill:
Apply for a payment arrangement that allows you to pay off what's owing over time by regular instalments.
Just have a copy of your bill or My Account log in details handy to get started...
If your circumstances change and you're unable to meet your payment plan, please call us on 13 13 53 as soon as possible . Together, we can find an appropriate payment solution to make it easier to manage your bills and avoid getting into debt.
Other services and assistance that can help:
- Arrange for automatic deductions from your Centrelink payments via Centrepay
- Seek the assistance of a financial counsellor
- Claim all relevant concessions you’re eligible for e.g. pensioner rebates Check if you’re eligible to apply for the Government’s Hardship Utility Grant Scheme (HUGS)
- Where do I update my credit card or bank account details for my Direct Debit?
Keep your credit card or bank account details up-to-date anytime, anywhere, via My Account. Please make any changes at least 5 business days before your next Direct Debit payment date - so your details are updated in time.Read more
- Am I notified of successful Direct Debit transactions?
No. This is because Direct Debit is a regular deduction so you won’t get notified or sent a receipt for these payments. It’s best to check your bank statement or you can log in to My Account and check the payment record under the tab 'Bills and Payments'. Payments we successfully receive may not be recorded in My Account until 24 hours after the payment is made.
- Are there any instalment amount limits?
There is a $20 minimum Direct Debit instalment amount; however there are no maximum dollar limits you can pay through My Account. The only restrictions could be the credit card limit or daily maximum transfer limit imposed by your bank.
- Can Direct Debit payments be paid from any bank account?
Direct Debit works with most bank accounts within Australia only. Even better... we won't charge you any transaction fees if you nominate a bank account as your payment option (a small fee only applies to credit or debit card payments).
For any bank account queries, please contact your bank.
- Can the Direct Debit bank account be in a different name than my Synergy account?
If you choose to make bill payments using Direct Debit and are an authorised contact (i.e. not the Synergy account holder), you will need to provide Synergy with consent to establish the Direct Debit in the name of the bank account holder and on behalf of the Synergy account holder.
The nominated bank account holder will need to ensure there are enough funds in the account to cover the payments and will also need to read the Direct Debit Service Agreement, these can be found here
- How do I cancel my Direct Debit?
The easiest way to cancel your Direct Debit or update your account details is via My Account.
Your payment may still be debited automatically if you cancel your Direct Debit less than 5 business days before your next bill payment or instalment is due.
- How do I change my Direct Debit details?
- How secure are my Direct Debit details?
We take protecting your information seriously. Any bank account or credit/debit card details your provide us are kept private and confidential. We’ll only disclose this information, if necessary, to process payments, investigate disputes, or, if we are legally obliged to.
- I have Direct Debit. What happens when my credit card expires or when I receive a new credit or debit card?
We keep track of your card's expiry date, to help make sure your Direct Debit won't be disrupted. We'll notify you in writing or via email (if you're registered for Paperless) in advance to remind you to update your credit/debit card details.Read more
- Is there a fee for using a credit or debit card?
Customers can choose to pay their Direct Debit payments from their bank account without incurring a transaction fee.
If you prefer to pay via credit or debit card, please be aware that a small transaction fee will apply:
- Mastercard Debit cards will incur a fee of 0.31 % (incl. GST)
- Mastercard Credit cards will incur a fee of 0.85 % (incl. GST)
- Visa Debit cards will incur a fee of 0.38 % (incl. GST)
- Visa Credit cards will incur a fee of 0.85 % (incl. GST)
- American Express credit cards will incur a fee of 0.84 % (incl. GST)
From 3 December 2017 when paying your bill via our website, My Account and over the phone the applicable transaction fee will be charged at the time of payment. Any applicable transaction fees for payments prior to this date will be added to your next Synergy bill.
If you are setup for Direct Debit and pay via debit or credit card you will continue to see the transaction fee on your next Synergy bill.
- What are the terms and conditions for Direct Debit?
The current terms and conditions for Direct Debit can be found by downloading a copy of the Direct Debit Service Agreement 190KB
- What happens if my bank account has insufficient funds?
If there are insufficient funds in your bank or credit/debit card account, the transaction will usually be rejected by your bank. We will post you a rejection notification and details of any dishonour fees charged to us by your bank, which are then added to your next bill.
Late payment of your energy account could result in an overdue notice fee. Additional late payment charges may apply to outstanding balances over $1,000.
- What happens to my Direct Debit when I move house?
Your can keep your Direct Debit arrangement in place to pay your final bill on your existing account.
When you move, we'll ask you to confirm or update your Direct Debit preference and details so we can make sure they're set up for your new property.
You can manage your Direct Debit through My Account, or you can contact us and one of our friendly colleagues will assist you to re-establish your Direct Debit against your account at your new address.
- What info will I need to sign up for Direct Debit?
Firstly, you’ll need your account number (you'll find this top left, on the front page of your bill). You’ll also need your bank account details, including the account holder's name, your BSB number and account number. If you’d rather pay by credit card, we just need to know the name of the cardholder, the card number and expiry date.
- What is Direct Debit?
It’s the set-and-forget way to pay bills. If you sign up for Direct Debit, we’ll debit the charges on your bill automatically from your nominated bank account or credit/debit card, whenever your bill is due to be paid. Choosing Direct Debit means your energy bill is always paid on time, without you having to remember dates, or even lift a finger.
- What types of credit cards can I use for Direct Debit?
You can use Visa, Mastercard or American Express. If you pay by debit or credit card, a transaction fee will apply and be added to your next Synergy bill.
- When is the money debited from my account, if paying by Direct Debit?
The amount due will be debited from your bank account on; or shortly after the due date shown on your bill. It takes up to 2 days for this payment to reach your Synergy account.
- Where can I find my payment number?
You'll find this at the bottom right of your bill (that's the 10 digit number on the first page just below the dotted line).
- Will I still receive a Synergy bill if I sign up for Direct Debit?
Can’t find the answer above? Get in contact, we are happy to help
For residential enquiries call 13 13 53
One of our friendly, team members will be happy to help you:
- 7am - 7pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
- We may need to ask you a couple of questions to confirm it's you - just have a copy of your bill handy.
All fields required unless indicated as optional.