Most popular FAQs
- Do I need a new meter to install solar and how do I arrange this?
To install a solar power system you’ll need to have a bi-directional energy meter that is capable of separately measuring and recording electricity flows in each direction - how much energy you consume from the grid vs. how much excess energy you export back to the grid (thanks to your solar system).Read more
- How do I organise a meter for my building site?
Building a home is a fun yet exhaustive process. Whether you need to get a temporary or permanent supply to your site, this is a good place to start.Read more
- How do I read my electricity meter?
It all depends on what type of meter you have. Western Power, the network operator, owns and maintains the meter at your premises and is responsible for reading or estimating your meter - unless you're a self reader.
For detailed information on ‘how to read your meter’, please read the Western Power meter reading FAQs.
- How does self-reading your meter work?
You might choose to read your own meter because of meter access issues, or perhaps you live in an area of WA where it’s hard for Western Power meter readers to visit regularly. If you read and submit your own meter readings, you’re known as a “self-read” customer.
- Can I lock my meter box?
You can lock your meter box as long as the lock is an approved Western Power lock. An approved Western Power lock can be purchased from licensed locksmiths and security suppliers.
- How long does it take to connect a meter to our building site?
It depends on how many steps below you need completed to connect your site:
- First, check for underground power installed on your block. Look for a shiny green dome or call Western Power on 13 10 87 to confirm or to install your dome.
- Apply for a new connection with us - we'll process your request within 3-5 days and issue you with a reference number.
- Pass on the reference number/s on to your builder or electrician.
- Your builder/ electrician will liaise with Western Power to get your meter installed and connected to the grid. Allow 5 working days in a metropolitan area, and up to 10 working days in rural areas.
- Here's why your meter might have not been read
There are a number of reasons why your meter may not have been read. Here are some important things to note:
- Western Power meter readers won’t enter any enclosure where there is a dog or signs of a dog, regardless of the breed or how friendly it seems.
- Western Power meter readers won’t climb over fences or gates to access your meter.
- Western Power meters readers won’t open meter boxes where there’s signs of bees or wasp nests.
- How do I get the temporary meter removed?
Call us on 13 13 53 to arrange removal. We'll arrange with Western Power to remove the meter for you. Please note, a temporary supply removal fee of $518.10 is charged by Synergy in order to recover costs charged by Western Power to visit a site and remove a temporary supply.
- I am a SmartPower customer, will my arrangement be affected if I want to sign up to green energy too?
You can sign-up to any of Synergy’s green energy options, whether it is NaturalPower® or EasyGreen®. But it means that the green energy premium will be added to all of the applicable SmartPower variable rates.
- What if I do not have a time-of-use compatible meter?
Most recently built homes have a compatible meter that can be re-programmed to suit a time-of-use tariff. Otherwise, you need to have a new meter installed. There are two types of meters which you can choose from depending on the existing meter installed at your property or the appliances you use.
Meter options and installation costs for new and existing homes are available on the product information page.
When you are ready to request a new meter, please either contact us to arrange installation at your home. If you are unsure which meter is best for you, consider contacting an electrician for advice.
Can’t find the answer above? Get in contact, we are happy to help
For residential enquiries call 13 13 53
One of our friendly, team members will be happy to help you:
- 7am - 7pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
- We may need to ask you a couple of questions to confirm it's you - just have a copy of your bill handy.
Chat with us now
We are available to help you online now.Chat now