Solar batteries for business
Adding a battery to your commercial solar PV system could help you use even more of the electricity your solar panels generate, so you can maximise your solar savings once the sun goes down.
Potential benefits for your business
Store excess solar energy
You could keep your electricity on during a power outage
(subject to battery capacity, charge, safety considerations and network requirements)
Potential savings on your electricity consumption costs
An renewable energy solution
How does a solar battery work with your solar PV system?
- The sun shines on your solar panels.
- Your solar panels turn this solar energy into electricity, which is then sent through your inverter and used to power the lights, heating and cooling systems, electrical equipment and appliances you use in your business.
- If your solar panels make more electricity than your business uses during the day, this is generally fed back into the electricity grid. At night, you would usually draw electricity from the grid to power your business.
- If you have a battery connected to your solar PV system, any excess electricity you generate could instead be stored in your battery. Your battery stores electricity in a similar way to how your mobile phone battery stores its electrical charge.
- A battery has an inverter which can turn stored energy into electricity for you to use when required, such as when your solar PV system isn't generating.
- Once your battery has been depleted, you will need to draw electricity from the grid again until your battery is recharged by your solar panels .