Perth is one of the sunniest cities in the world, with an average of 8 hours of sunshine per day.
Almost one in three households in WA’s South West Interconnected System (the SWIS) has a rooftop solar PV system.
Find the right solar panels for your needs
When you’re looking for solar panels for your home, it’s worth choosing solar panels made by a Tier 1 brand.
Tier 1 means that the company is financially strong, invests heavily in research and the company is more likely to be around for the long term. Choosing a solar product from a Tier 1 brand over a cheaper solar panel could be an investment worth making.
- Look for reputable Tier 1 brands
- Read reviews to compare products
- Check the manufacturer warranty
Make the most of your solar panels
Your solar panels will generally receive the most sun between 10am and 2pm, which means this is when their solar energy production is at its best on sunny days.
- North-facing roof space is generally a good option for solar panels in WA, where the solar panels will typically receive the most sun exposure. West-facing rooftops can also work well, to take advantage of the warm afternoon sun.
- Small changes to your household habits, such as running your dishwasher during the day when your solar panels are producing electricity, can help you to make the most of the solar energy your solar PV system generates.
How much electricity will your solar panels generate?
The amount of electricity your solar panels produce depends on a number of factors, including the type and number of solar panels installed, your solar inverter capacity and the sun exposure your panels receive. You also need to consider:
- The electricity produced by solar panels is directly related to the amount of energy they receive from the sun.
- Dust, dirt, bird droppings and shade from trees or antennas can all impact the performance of your solar panels.
- The amount of electricity your solar panels generate can actually decrease in extremely hot weather. Solar panels usually operate best on sunny days of temperatures around 25