Skip to main content
There are a number of stages electricity has to go through - from generation in a power station to delivery in your home. Once it is generated, it can then be transmitted, distributed and used. But what does each of these steps entail?

Making Energy

Synergy produces about 60% of the South West’s energy supply with the remaining 40% produced by a number of other generators. Currently, WA still relies heavily on fossil fuels (coal), with wind and gas also playing important roles in our energy mix. As we head towards our intelligent energy future, Synergy is committed to providing more environmentally sustainable power solutions for our customers. Residential solar panels currently have the potential to generate over 564MW of electricity per day.

Carrying Energy

Conductors are sets of high voltage transmission lines that carry electricity from generators to WA’s metro and regional areas. Western Power maintains the transmission infrastructure.

Distributing Energy

Western Power (which is owned by the WA government) maintains the power lines and substations which form the networks around you, and deliver electricity to your home. They also attend blackouts, repair damaged electricity lines and provide metering services to measure and record your electricity use.

Buying and Selling Energy (Retailers)

Synergy buys electricity from generators (including from ourselves) via the wholesale market.

Delivering Energy

This energy then travels through the transmission lines via the network and is distributed to users. Low voltage electricity is passed through your electricity meter to power individual areas of your homes.

New Electricity Tariff Prices

The state government recently announced changes to regulated electricity retail tariffs from 1 July 2022.

Learn more

Get energy saving tips

Learn more about the little and big changes you can make around the home to reduce your consumption and electricity bill.

Learn more