Back to topics
2018 card fee changes
- Changes effective 16 February 2018
Synergy card transaction fees have now changed effective 16 February 2018.
- Can I avoid paying this fee?
Synergy offers a number of payment methods for our customers that do not incur a card transaction fee, including Direct Debit and BPay.
- How do you calculate the 0.69% card fee?
The fee reflects Synergy's estimate of its costs incurred in providing the credit card payment service. The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) defines what costs should be used in the calculation of this fee, the main cost being what the financial institution charges Synergy. Synergy will review the fee annually based on the statements that financial institutions must provide to Synergy about what the financial institution charges Synergy.
- What exactly is the card fee change?
Synergy has adjusted the current ‘Credit/debit card transaction fee’ to the rate of 0.69% for every American Express, Visa and MasterCard Credit and Debit card transaction.
- Why are costs incurred by Synergy when a customer chooses to pay their bill via American Express, Visa and MasterCard Credit and Debit cards?
Synergy incurs extra costs when a customer chooses to pay their bill via American Express, Visa and MasterCard Credit and Debit card. Different payment methods can have very different costs. Costs included in the transaction fee are those specified by the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA), such as what the financial institution charges Synergy.
Can’t find the answer above? Get in contact, we are happy to help
For residential enquiries call 13 13 53
One of our friendly, team members will be happy to help you:
- 7am - 7pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
- We may need to ask you a couple of questions to confirm it's you - just have a copy of your bill handy.
Tell us your enquiry and we’ll be in touch to assist.
All fields required unless indicated as optional.