Skip to main content
Back to topics

Solar connections and upgrades

Do I need a new meter to install solar and how do I arrange this?

To install a solar power system you’ll need to have a bi-directional energy meter that is capable of separately measuring and recording electricity flows in each direction - consumption and export.

If you don’t already have a bi-directional meter, your meter will need to be replaced, reprogrammed or reconfigured to ensure it’s compatible with your solar power system. We’ll work with Western Power to arrange this on your behalf.

Metering Costs to switch to REBS

Single phase meter: $138.24 (inclusive of GST)
Three phase meter: $235.04 (inclusive of GST)
Reprogram fee compatible meter: $66.00 ^
Interval meter: $786.40 (inclusive of GST)

You'll first need to apply to get your system connected to the grid to kick start the process.

Get connected

Do I need local council approval to install solar?
This varies depending on your individual circumstances. It’s best to double check with your solar installer and local council before proceeding with a solar power system.
How do I connect solar to the grid?
You can connect your solar system in 3 simple steps.
Read more
Is my business eligible for REBS?

REBS is available to residential customers, non-profit organisations and educational institutions that have a small solar system between 500 watts and 5kW. You'll also need to have:

  • An approved, bi-directional meter installed
  • All necessary approvals to connect your system to the grid, including but not limited to, Synergy and Western Power

We'll let you know if you're eligible for REBS as part of the getting connected process. As long as you don't increase your solar system to above 5kW - we'll continue to buy back your excess energy.

Learn more about exporting back to the grid

Read more
Who are the approved suppliers in my area?

Good news. The Clean Energy Council (Australia's peak solar industry body) have compiled a list of accredited installers.

To get approval from us and Western Power to connect to the grid and be eligible for the Renewable Energy Buyback Scheme (REBS); you must select an accredited installer from this list.

Find an installer

Why do I need to notify you when I upgrade my system?

To upgrade the size of your existing solar panels you’ll need to complete the Renewable Energy Systems application form. If you want to change the capacity of your inverter, you’ll also need approval from Western Power before making any changes.

Read more
Why do I still need to pay for electricity with solar connected?
You only need to pay for electricity when your panels aren't producing enough energy to power your premises, when the sun isn't shining brightly. The good news is, in the not too distant future, battery storage technology will enable you to store excess energy used during the day, so you can take advantage of it long after the sun goes down.

Search all of our help & advice

Can’t find the answer above? Get in contact, we are happy to help

For business enquiries call 13 13 54

One of our friendly, team members will be happy to help you:

  • 7am - 7pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
  • We may ask you a couple of questions about your business and energy usage - it helps to have a copy of your bill close by.
View all contact numbers