Skip to main content
Back to topics

Solar connections and upgrades

Do I need a new meter to participate in DEBS and how do I arrange this?
To participate in DEBS you’ll need to have a bi-directional energy meter that is capable of separately measuring and recording electricity flows in each direction - how much energy you consume from the grid vs. how much excess energy you export back to the grid from your distributed energy system.
Do I need local council approval to install solar?
This varies depending on your individual circumstances. It’s best to double check with your solar installer and local council before proceeding with a solar power system.
How do I connect solar to the grid?
You can connect your solar system in 3 simple steps.
Read more
Is my business eligible for REBS?

REBS is available to residential customers, non-profit organisations and educational institutions that have a small solar system between 500 watts and 5kW. You'll also need to have:

  • An approved, bi-directional meter installed
  • All necessary approvals to connect your system to the grid, including but not limited to, Synergy and Western Power

We'll let you know if you're eligible for REBS as part of the getting connected process. As long as you don't increase your solar system to above 5kW - we'll continue to buy back your excess energy.

Learn more about exporting back to the grid

Read more
Why do I need to notify you when I upgrade my system?

To upgrade the size of your existing solar panels you’ll need to complete the Renewable Energy Systems application form. If you want to change the capacity of your inverter, you’ll also need approval from Western Power before making any changes.

Read more
Why do I still need to pay for electricity with solar connected?
You only need to pay for electricity when your panels aren't producing enough energy to power your home. The good news is, battery storage technology now lets you store surplus energy produced during the day, so you can take advantage of it long after the sun goes down.

Search all of our help & advice

Can’t find the answer above? Get in contact, we are happy to help

For business enquiries call 13 13 54

One of our friendly, team members will be happy to help you:

  • 8am - 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
  • We may ask you a couple of questions about your business and energy usage - it helps to have a copy of your bill close by.
View all contact numbers