Synergy NaturalPower - Commercial Green Energy
If you’re looking for new ways to make your business operations more sustainable, NaturalPower could be a simple way to help reduce your carbon footprint.
We offer NaturalPower as a commercial "green" energy product, available to your business and even at home. With NaturalPower you can offset a percentage of your electricity consumption with a renewable energy solution.
What is NaturalPower?
We offer NaturalPower as part of our accreditation under Australia’s GreenPower program.
When you choose NaturalPower through Synergy, you pay slightly more than your usual tariff and we buy large-scale generation certificates (or LGCs) on your behalf.
These LGCs are from nationally-accredited GreenPower renewable energy sources which meet strict environmental criteria. The electricity is generated by accredited renewable sources and fed back into the existing electricity network - so your contribution helps to increase the amount of electricity from renewable sources running through the grid.
Renewable energy for business: How NaturalPower works
You choose NaturalPower from Synergy
NaturalPower is a product that offsets consumption using accredited generation from the national GreenPower program. It's a voluntary government accreditation program which guarantees your electricity use is offset with electricity which comes from renewable sources. You can choose how much of your electricity you want to offset - and we will buy the equivalent amount in LGCs. You can choose increments of 25% up to 100% of your electricity consumption.
We buy LGCs on your behalf
When you choose NaturalPower, we purchase LGCs on your behalf. Every time a unit of NaturalPower is sold, those LGCs are retired. Your contribution counts and there’s no double-counting or duplication. Each year, we are independently audited to confirm our LGCs are credible.
NaturalPower electricity is added to the grid
The renewable energy is generated and fed into the electricity grid where it mixes with energy produced from non-renewable sources before being distributed to customers. As an example, our wind farm in Albany is an accredited energy supplier for the national GreenPower program.
How to choose NaturalPower for your business
Simply log in to My Account, choose NaturalPower and select how much you would like to offset each bill. You can also get in touch with your account manager to discuss your options.
- Is Synergy an accredited GreenPower supplier?
Yes. Synergy's Albany Wind Farm, a Bright Energy Investments joint venture and part of the Albany Grasmere Wind Farm, is an accredited energy supplier for the GreenPower program and is cutting Australia’s greenhouse gas emissions by 65,000 tonnes per annum. That's equivalent to taking nearly 15,000 cars from our roads for one year.
- How do I know my money has paid for renewable energy sources?
We will only use your contribution to purchase renewable energy certificates (RECs) from Australia's nationally-accredited GreenPower sources. Renewable energy certificates (RECs) are either small-scale technology certificates (STCs) or large-scale generation certificates (LGCs). NaturalPower involves LGCs.
- Can I change my NaturalPower contribution at any time?
Yes, it’s easy to change the amount you want to offset. Just log in to My Account to update your NaturalPower contribution or discuss your options with your account manager.
- Will renewable energy be used to power my business?
While choosing NaturalPower doesn’t guarantee that the actual electricity running into your business is from renewable sources, it allows us to purchase more renewable energy overall. The power to your business will be from a mix of sources but your contribution supports Australia’s renewable energy industry and increases the amount of cleaner, greener electricity in the network.
- What are LGCs?
- Renewable energy certificates (RECs) are split into types: small-scale technology certificates (STCs) and large-scale generation certificates (LGCs).
- Large-scale renewable energy projects, such as wind and solar farms create LGCs.
- We purchase LGCs on behalf of our NaturalPower customers each year. The number of LGCs we purchase is calculated using the Renewable Power Percentage (RPP). This changes annually and is published by the Clean Energy Regulator.
- We offer LGCs through our NaturalPower product and are independently audited every year to ensure we purchase the correct amount of LGCs from accredited renewable energy generators. This audit information is made public each year in our annual report.