Synergy is working with Western Power by delivering a new Energy Storage Trial called PowerBank at Meadow Springs and Falcon.
The Australian-first trial allows for the integration of a utility-scale battery into an already established major metropolitan network.
PowerBank is a two-year trial that allows invited customers to make the most of their solar PV system by virtually storing# the excess energy generated (up to 8kWh/day). Together with a time-of-use pricing plan, it’s a battery storage solution without the upfront costs.
Everything we learn from innovative projects like this helps us prepare for WA’s intelligent energy future.
How PowerBank works
During the day, your solar panels generate energy. Up to 8kWh of the energy you don't use can be virtually stored in the PowerBank battery
The energy virtually stored in the PowerBank battery can be used during peak tariff hours instead of paying the higher peak rates
- Maximise your cost savings during peak tariff hours (3pm to 9pm weekdays) where virtually stored# energy can be used in the evenings instead of paying the higher peak rates.
- Switch on or set the timer on your major appliances to run between 3pm and 9pm to make use of the virtually stored# energy you have accumulated during the day.
- Avoid running your major appliances during the weekday (7am to 3pm) and weekend (7am to 9pm) 'shoulder' periods. Turn off any appliances and lighting that you aren’t using at the wall.
- Make use of the cheaper Everyday Off-peak rate between the hours of 9pm to 7am.
Battery Smart Plan FAQsWant to learn more about Battery Smart Plan? Take a look at our helpful and comprehensive list of FAQs.
- Am I still drawing power from my solar system during the day?
Yes, your household uses your solar energy throughout the day as your system generates energy, and any excess solar energy (up to 6kWh or 8kWh depending on your plan) is stored in the virtual# battery. Grid energy supplements your household energy if the solar energy generation is not sufficient during the day. The virtually# stored energy can only be used between 3pm and 9pm and is used only after your solar panels stop generating enough energy for your household consumption.
- What happens if I do not use all the energy I virtually store in the battery during the day?
At midnight every day your virtually stored energy resets to 0kWh. Any excess energy virtually stored that you do not consume daily will be purchased from you as normal at the same rate as the Renewable Energy Buyback Scheme (REBS) and show as a credit on your Synergy bill.
- What happens if I don’t use my full 6kWh or 8kWh of virtually# stored energy?
If your household is not consuming all the virtually# stored energy during the peak times, your household is unlikely to be maximising its potential savings. We've added a new PowerBank tab in My Account^ to help track and optimise your usage. My Account keeps all your energy data, billing and payment history together, accessible 24 hours a day from your favourite device. Follow the links to find out more.
- What happens now and post-trial?
The trial is planned to run for 24 months. If your application to participate in the trial is successful, Synergy will to provide seasonal updates on how you are performing over the trial as well handy tips and information on how you can improve energy use in your home. In addition, you will be able to access your consumption information in My Account^. Occasionally, you will also be invited to take part in surveys or receive other communications from Synergy while on the trial.
- Where is the daily subscription fee (battery storage charge) on my bill?