Synergy is working with Western Power to deliver a new Energy Storage Trial called PowerBank across 12 metropolitan and regional locations. The Australian-first trial allows for the integration of a utility-scale battery into an already established major metropolitan network.
The PowerBank 3 pilot is the third phase of the trial, providing Synergy customers with the opportunity to trial battery storage technology virtually#. This pilot will allow participating customers to virtually# store excess electricity generated from their solar panels.* Each customer participating in the pilot will be able to virtually# store excess electricity generated between 7am and 3pm and use up to 6kWh or 8kWh daily (depending on the storage option selected) to offset their electricity consumption at other times and trial a 'time of use' pricing plan. It's a virtual# battery storage solution without the large upfront costs of a battery, only a small daily subscription fee.
Everything we learn from innovative projects like this helps us prepare for WA’s intelligent energy future.
How PowerBank works
1. During the day, your solar panels generate energy. You will be allocated storage capacity in the battery so you can virtually store some of the energy you don't use that is generated between 7am and 3pm.
2. The electricity you have virtually stored is used to offset your consumption during the Peak Period and at other times if there is still stored energy remaining.
- Maximise your cost savings during peak tariff hours (3pm to 9pm weekdays) where virtually stored# energy can be used in the evenings instead of paying the higher peak rates.
- Switch on or set the timer on your major appliances to run between 3pm and 9pm to make use of the virtually stored# energy you have accumulated during the day.
- Avoid running your major appliances during the weekday (7am to 3pm) and weekend (7am to 9pm) 'shoulder' periods. Turn off any appliances and lighting that you aren’t using at the wall.
- Make use of the cheaper Everyday Off-peak rate between the hours of 9pm to 7am.
PowerBank Saver Plan FAQsWant to learn more about Battery Smart Plan? Take a look at our helpful and comprehensive list of FAQs.
- Am I still drawing power from my solar system during the day?
Yes, your household uses your solar energy throughout the day as your system generates energy, and any excess solar energy (up to 6kWh or 8kWh depending on your plan) is stored in the virtual# battery. Grid energy supplements your household energy if the solar energy generation is not sufficient during the day. The virtually# stored energy can only be used between 3pm and 9pm and is used only after your solar panels stop generating enough energy for your household consumption.
- What happens if I do not use all the energy I virtually store in the battery during the day?
At midnight every day your virtually stored energy resets to 0kWh. Any excess energy virtually stored that you do not consume daily will be purchased from you as normal at the same rate as the Renewable Energy Buyback Scheme (REBS) and show as a credit on your Synergy bill.
- What happens if I don’t use my full 6kWh or 8kWh of virtually# stored energy?
If your household is not consuming all the virtually# stored energy during the peak times, your household is unlikely to be maximising its potential savings. We've added a new PowerBank tab in My Account^ to help track and optimise your usage. My Account keeps all your energy data, billing and payment history together, accessible 24 hours a day from your favourite device. Follow the links to find out more.
- What happens now and post-trial?
The trial is planned to run for 24 months. If your application to participate in the trial is successful, Synergy will to provide seasonal updates on how you are performing over the trial as well handy tips and information on how you can improve energy use in your home. In addition, you will be able to access your consumption information in My Account^. Occasionally, you will also be invited to take part in surveys or receive other communications from Synergy while on the trial.
- Where is the daily subscription fee (battery storage charge) on my bill?
Note: There are limited places available for customers to participate in this pilot. Synergy intends to accept applications from eligible customers who apply online in response to an invitation. Synergy will accept online applications until the storage options selected meet the battery capacity for each pilot, as determined by Synergy in its sole discretion.
#By virtual, we mean there is no physical battery connected to the premises storing electricity generated. Individual customers are allocated virtual storage capacity in the battery based on the storage option selected and the PowerBank Saver Plan terms and conditions.
^Your daily interval consumption data in My Account may be up to 48 hours behind.
*Terms and conditions apply